Five Points is one of Huntsville's Historic Preservation Districts, established in 1999. Initially part of the 1891 East Huntsville Addition, it developed slowly over the course of a century. This neighborhood's significance lies in its illustration of the evolution of middle-class housing in 20th century Huntsville, rather than a concentration of one period. Five points is an eclectic neighborhood in nature with a tremendous amount of character found throughout the streets of the community.
The dwellings include a collection of modest one and two-story vernacular Victorian homes, a variety of Bungalows that experienced great popularity in the 1920's and 30's, modest Cape Cods, which were then succeeded by the Ranch style, which was so fashionable in the 50's and 60's.
The East Huntsville Addition was the first true suburb in Huntsville, made feasible by the construction of a streetcar line, which allowed working people to live farther than walking distance from jobs and shopping without owning an automobile. The neighborhood still retains its 19th century grid layout of broad, parallel streets, narrow but deep lots, and rear service alleys, which permit pedestrian-oriented streets.
Historic homes in the neighborhood are marked by a five point star and picket fence and many homes are noted with lawn signs with the past occupants last name. The picket fence symbolizes the sidewalk friendly community. The star represents the 5 points, and the style of the font used for the words "Five Points" was derived from the 1921 and 1928 Sanborn maps of Huntsville, which is the era that brought the East Huntsville Addition into the City.